Published on February 12th, 2017 | by OBN News
Cider production course launches in OntarioTweet
St Catharines – Brock University has announced a new 5-day cider and perry production course, designed by The Cider Institue of North America, is coming to its St Catharines campus this April 2017.
Part of Brock’s Cool Climate Oenology and Viticulture Institute, the course will cover all aspects of cider production including ingredient sourcing, quality control and the economics of cider making. The hands-on program uses lectures, lab work, workshops and tastings to give learners a step-by-step guide to production.
Cider and Perry Production – A Foundation
Date: Mondays, April 24 to April 28, 2017 at 8:30 a.m.
Registration Deadline: Thursday April 13, 2017
- Historical development of cider and perry production.
- The current market-place for cider and perry.
- Types and styles of cider and perry along with a comparison with the production of other alcoholic beverages.
- Legislative requirements, definitions & characteristics.
- Cider orcharding – an outline. Fruit selection, harvesting and processing
- Juice composition and its preparation prior to fermentation
- Fermentation and its management
- Maturation and its management. Malolactic fermentation
- Downstream processing: Application of filtration and pasteurization, fining and packaging.
- Quality assurance and control record keeping.
- Methods and application of organoleptic assessment of cider and perry: Objectives and Descriptive analysis.
- Development of product profiles. Recognition of key attributes and sensory faults
- Resource requirements
- A look forward – future development and sustainability of the Cider Industry & its products. Meeting consumer
For more information, visit Brock’s Cool Climate Oenology and Viticulture Institute.